Sunday, September 28, 2014

Lomé


At the beginning of last week, I had the opportunity to attend a 3-day conference in Lomé, Togo, with a number of my co-workers. In a matter of about 2 days, they asked me if I'd like to go, a spot opened up, and I had a visa in hand. Funny how fast things can go sometimes! Early on Sunday morning, 9 of us piled into 2 taxis and set out on the 4-hour drive to Lomé. It was good to have my co-worker Blaise with me when I went though customs at the Benin-Togo border--it would have taken me much longer to navigate the different stages on my own!

The focus of the conference was partnership development, specifically how African missionaries can raise support in their local communities rather than relying on external aid (from places like America). There were several main speakers at the conference, including the director of Wycliffe Benin, Daniel. There was also an Irish couple, Myles and Phyllis Wilson, who were there to participate and advise. It sounds like they travel all around the world to give similar training on partnership development and leadership.
With Myles and Phyllis
It was so lovely to get to know them and spend time with them at the conference! They were so kind and willing to share the wisdom they've gained from 40 years on the mission field.
Myles (left) speaks while Lawson (right) translates
There were about 30 people total at the conference, from Wycliffe Benin, Wycliffe Togo, and friends of Wycliffe. It was so interesting to hear everyone discussing the place of missions in African churches and their perspectives on internal support raising. God's people are well-equipped here!

After the conference, we took a walk through one of the main markets in Lomé. It was fun to get out and do a little exploring. I didn't end up getting anything there, because I had already purchased 2 yards of fabric from some women who were selling their crafts at the conference. You can see the pattern in the photo at the top of this post :)

If you're wondering why I don't take more pictures of markets and places outside of my home, it is because some people in this area apparently do not take kindly to having their photo taken. From what I know, it has to do with the Voodoo religion, and they believe that the soul, or part of it, becomes trapped forever in any photo that's taken of them. Among Christians however, people love photos! When I was at a wedding a few weeks ago, the person I was with leaned over during the ceremony and said, "Do you have a camera? Feel free to take photos!" Apparently that's the norm, even though I didn't know the couple at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment