Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Harmattan Sunset





Cool, dry, dust. Three words to neatly sum up the season West Africans call harmattan. While all my co-workers arrive at the office and wear their jackets all the way through morning prayer to warm up after "braving the cold", I come bouncing in with more energy than I've had in months, because it was only 72 degrees this morning! (It dips all the way to a chilly 65 overnight...) They all know that I'm loving this weather. :)

When many westerners think of an African sunset, perhaps it's a red sky and sprawling orange light, à la Lion King (just add an acacia silhouette and the image is complete). But the harmattan sunset is truly a unique and beautiful sight. The sun actually disappears behind the layer of dust that hangs in the air, and it's invisible by the time it reaches the horizon. From my rooftop, where I took these photos one evening, it's possible to hear the call to prayer resonating from a nearby mosque, which provides the perfect background music to a truly beautiful scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment