Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Dear America...



Dear America,

It's been a while, and I've missed you like crazy. This chapter of my life has been beyond my imagination. You may already be aware that May 4th was Star Wars day--May the "4th" be with you. But May 4th also marked one year since my college graduation, and now more than a year since I've sat in a desk and been graded for my work. Here in Benin, I haven't taken many formal exams (not devastated about that), but the testing definitely didn't stop. As a result, I've learned some pretty amazing things here that might not have come to me so easily on your side of the pond, and I'm not the same person that disappeared into a security checkpoint at MSP last September. I know you've changed too, America, and I can't wait to do some catching up in just a few short days!

To be honest, this whole transition will probably feel pretty weird for me. There are certain things I'm doing before I leave Benin to avoid "crash landing" when I get home, like taking time to process this experience, and say the appropriate goodbyes before I leave Benin for a whole five weeks.

But listen, America, there are also a few things you can do to help "cushion my landing", if you are willing to lend a hand!
  • Pray for me. Pray for peace during this transition. Pray that I would find ways to re-incorporate myself into familiar niches in the different realms of my life, and find new ones to fit into where appropriate. Pray that I would find appropriate outlets to share experiences. Pray against discouragement and negative emotions of reverse culture shock. Pray for refreshment and rest as I prepare to return to Benin this summer for one last month-and-a-half with the Discover group.
  • Invite me. Seriously, I would love to go for a walk with you, get lunch or coffee together, do somersaults in a field of grass, come over for a visit--the possibilities are endless. There may be days when I don't feel up to going out, and please don't take that personally. I can't predict how I'll be feeling from one day to the next, but I can promise that your invitation will very helpful and encouraging for me, and it will make a difference. :)
  • Give me grace if I try to shake your hand to say hello, if I neurotically hoard my one-dollar bills, or if I rave way too much about the water pressure in the faucets. I'll be working on that... In the meantime we can just turn those into interesting conversation starters, right? Speaking of which...
  • Feel free to ask me about my trip. Saying "How was Benin?" is a wonderful way to do this! But also don't be shy about asking more specific questions. That will be really helpful for me, too. Otherwise I might not know where to start!
  • Don't let me do all the talking. Tell me what's new with you! Tell me about the exciting changes and interesting experiences that have taken place in your life in the past 8-and-a-half months. I'll be excited to catch up on what's gone on while I've been away, because odds are I'll feel a bit behind.

If I forgot something... let's just figure it out when we get there. For now, I'll leave you with this very fitting verse:

I have much more to say to you, but I don't want to write it with pen and ink. For I hope to see you soon, and then we will talk face to face.
3 John v. 13-14, NLT

While I have you here, I have a side announcement: I'll be looking for hand-me-down children's clothes to take back to Benin in June. Anything that could fit a child age 4 and under (including infants) will work. (Except winter jackets. Benin doesn't need those.)
If you have some clothes to donate, send me an email--kapitchford@gmail.com--or just flag me down at church!


(December, @ El Dorado Beach)

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine the mix of emotions you must be feeling! I'll be sure to keep praying for a "soft landing" as you come back to the U.S. and then return to finish up your time in Benin. Thanks so much for the updates--always love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers Lindsay! I hope the last Alpha course went well this week! Sending hugs.

      Delete