Friday, June 26, 2015

Back At It


On the evening of September 2, 2014, I landed at Cadjehoun Airport in Cotonou, a city where I knew no one, where my phone was virtually useless, not even knowing who was picking me up. It was a bit intimidating. When I claimed my bags and exited the building, I met two of my soon-to-be coworkers, whom I recognized by the sign they were holding that read "WYCLIFFE BENIN". They were there to drop me off with my new host family, which I would soon learn included 4 daughters. (My host sisters later told me that they weren't sure if "Kate" was a girl name or a boy name, and were super relieved when I turned out to be a girl, and that I actually spoke French!) I ate dinner. Then I laid in bed, listening to music and staring at the ceiling and thinking, "What have I done? How am I going to live in Africa for the next eight months? This cannot be real." I set my alarm for 9:00 the next morning, not wanting to sleep too late, because I didn't know these people at all, or what they expected of me.

On the evening of June 22, 2015, my plane once again landed at Cadjehoun Airport in Cotonou. I put in my Beninese SIM card while the plane taxied in. While I filled out my customs forms, I sent a message to another expat friend to tell them I had arrived, and make dinner plans for the following evening. While I waited at the baggage claim, my boss called to make sure I had made it, and I got a text from my host mom to tell me she was waiting outside. I claimed my bags and texted my host mom when I exited the airport. I spotted her first, and called, "Maman!" (Mom!). We hugged. We drove home. Many more hugs. My host sisters asked how my brother's wedding was. I ate dinner. I went up to my apartment and unpacked a bit, then slept until noon the next day, because I was tired and I felt like it.

In other words, I made it back to Benin, and my trip went really smoothly! Thank you to everyone that prayed over my travels, and to those who are still praying for my last six weeks here in Cotonou. I'll be keeping you posted.

2 comments:

  1. My heart did a big awwwwwww for you. Who ever thought these crazy places would become home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. I love seeing your posts! Sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete