Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Visit to Ouidah

There are some photos that I've been meaning to post on my blog for a little while, and it just so happens that the internet connection in the office is FANTASTIC today, so I was finally able to upload them! Wohoo! 

And just for fun, I'm giving this post a soundtrack. If you want, press play on the video below before continuing to read. (But if your internet is as limited as mine usually is, don't feel obligated!)

My host father Nestor is from a village to the west of Cotonou called Ouidah. I didn't know much about it other than the fact that it is the birthplace of the Voodoo religion and that it was home to a very active port during the days of the African slave trade. We had passed through on the way to the conference in Lome, but I hadn't actually visited it.

The view from the roof in Ouidah
Well a few weeks ago on a Friday afternoon, Nestor called me at work to ask if I would be interested in joining the family on a trip to Ouidah that weekend. I said that sounded really nice! It wasn't until I arrived home that night that I learned that they intended to leave that night. So I quickly packed a bag, and a few hours later, we had arrived at a country home owned by the family in Ouidah.

We spent most of Saturday relaxing at the house, and that evening, we took a stroll around the surrounding neighborhood. On Sunday, however, we made an excursion over to the neighboring village, Possotomè. It must have been a business-related trip for Nestor, because we visited two hotels where he wanted to ask about lodging and conference room reservations. But with the family along (Justine, Sejes, Lowi, and I had accompanied him on this outing), it was also an opportunity to see some beautiful sites together!


The first hotel we visited was on stilts. I could hardly believe my eyes when we walked off of the beach and down the thatched-roof hallway, with the warm sunlight coming through. It was very cool. See for yourself!



Nestor, Sejes, Justine, and Lowi

Justine, me, Sejes, and Lowi
Possotomè is also home to a thermal spring, from which they produce bottled water that is sold all over Benin.  I often drink Possotomè water at home. What I didn't know was that in Benin, there is a pipeline running straight from the spring to a public fountain. Nestor told me that water flows from this fountain 24/7, and anyone can come to collect water for drinking and cooking, to wash their clothing, and even to shower! Not only is the water from a clean source, but it is naturally warm and is believed to have healing properties for people that wash under it. How cool!

The second hotel that we visited was as amazing as the first, although in a different way. They had invested in a beautifully kept beachfront and attractive landscaping throughout the whole property. It felt like walking into paradise.



Here are a few of the rooms, in case you should ever want to visit me in Benin... ;)

Justine and Lowi

On the waterfront




It was a thoroughly lovely weekend, and I loved exploring more of God's diverse creation. Seek his good gifts, and you will find.
On the drive home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment